Monday, May 19, 2014

Dressing

I laid out a bunch of clothes and then had to change my mind. Not on a female whim!

Africa - hot, right? Not in late fall, south of the equator, at 3120 feet altitude. (I had to get a frame for reference: Denver is around 5300 and Chicago is 597). The average temperature is low in the upper 50s, highs in the mid 70's. 

And the town - as is more of the world than I think - is very modest and conservative. Cover knees and shoulders any time we are in public. Even hiking should be done in capris or longer and only 1-piece swim suits. I know as a base for many Kilimanjaro hikes there will be lots of Americans and others who will ignore these rules, but because we are there to interact and represent the best of the US, we are respectful.

It was no surprise that there will not be a washer and dryer. I long ago learned to shower in my underwear and then hang it out. Everything else goes into a bucket occasionally and dries outdoors. The news was that the water is infested with lots of bugs (do not even brush teeth with it!), a bunch of which love to live in clothing, creating annoying - but not deadly itching. so everything - everything - must be hot ironed.
So put back the synthetics and knits. In the end it seemed safest to buy a couple of long cotton dresses and not get so attached to them that I want to bring them home.

Having resolved the packing, I am anxious to wake up and see Killimanjaro out my window. This Friday the adventure begins!


(This photo is from Freepix - can't wait to post my own!)


No comments:

Post a Comment